Veggie Loaded Pizza Pot Pies
Pizza meets pot pie in this super fun and delicious vegetarian twist where pizza literally gets turned upside down. Loaded with flavor, texture, veggies, the easiest and most delicious homemade magic marinara and oh that cheese pull! You may never go back to pizza right side up again!
For Pizza Pot Pie Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus extra for greasing side of the bowls
- 8 ounces Turkeyless protein patties or plant based meat of choice (I like Trader Joe’s)
- 8oz sliced mushrooms, left whole
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped eggplant
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning blend
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Deli mozzarella slices-8 large slices
- 1 pound storebought or homemade pizza dough
- All-purpose flour for stretching out dough
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, optional
- 1 teaspoon herbs de provence, rosemary or Italian seasoning for sprinkling on top of pizza crust, optional
- 1 cup of my magic marinara sauce-click here for the recipe- or use your favorite homemade or storebrand version
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine magic marinara ingredients to a bowl if using an immersion blender, or into regular blender. Blend ingredients until smooth. Taste to adjust seasonings and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a sauté pan and heat over medium. Add Turkey less or other plant based meat and sauté until browned and slightly crisped. Remove and add veggies, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and sauté until veggies are softened and slightly caramelized. Add meat back in along with magic marinara and mix to combine well. Continue cooking a couple more minutes until lightly bubbling, then remove from heat and let cool slightly. Taste to adjust seasonings as needed.
- Spray the insides of four ovenproof bowls with a generous amount of cooking spray. Layer 4 large slices of cheese inside each bowl so that the sides overlap and bottoms touch. This will help the cheese pull factor when turning out pot pies.
- Add slightly cooled filling to the bowls on top of the cheese, dividing evenly among each.
- Split the dough into 4 equal portions and stretch each portion out on a lightly floured surface into rounds. You will want them wide enough to overhang over the side of 4 approximately 6 ounce round baking dishes
- Drape a round of dough on top of each bowl. Rub olive oil on your fingers and slide them around the outside edges of the bowls underneath the dough so that the pizzas will slide out easily after baking. Gently pull down and press the dough around the edges to create a seal. Brush tops of dough with a little olive and sprinkle with salt and herbs, if desired. Place the bowls on a foil lined sheet pan.
- Bake until the crust is slightly golden, about 15 minutes. Gently slide a small knife in between the crust and bowl to loosen edges away from the sides of the bowl slightly. Carefully turn over a bowl into an individual bowl or plate. Lift the bowl away and prepare to be mesmerized by the glorious cheese pull! Repeat with the remaining pot pies and serve with extra magic marinara on the side!
Enjoy this recipe or have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!
Click here to register on our Home Page for our free newsletter featuring the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on my free live monthly cooking demos and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!