There are many comfort soups out there but potato has got to be one of the best. This is my go-to vegan version and one of the easiest to make since it uses pre-baked potatoes which means no peeling, chopping or extra time simmering! Even more delicious than the dairy versions with the deep roasted flavors from the baked potatoes and roasted garlic. And no gluten thickeners required thanks to all the glorious starch from the potatoes thickening up the soup on their own. The best part about this soup: I use the reserved potato shells to make quick potato skins to top the soup and dip in as you eat. Potato on potato…doesn’t get more comforting than that!
You can make this super easy soup a couple different ways. You can bake the potatoes and roast the head of garlic all together in the oven at 400 degrees for 45 minutes to an hour, until tender. Or if you want the soup made in a few minutes with no prep ahead, microwave the potatoes for approximately 8-10 minutes and instead of roasting garlic, sauté minced garlic cloves with your leeks in the pot before adding the rest if the ingredients. Whatever method you use, all you have to do is cook a chopped leek in a little vegan butter over medium heat, add the garlic and flesh from the potatoes, season, and add your broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer 15 minutes. While soup is simmering make the potato skins by drizzling them with oil, seasoning with salt and pepper and sprinkling with vegan cheese, then broil them until the cheese is melted. When soup is done, pour into bowls and throw a couple potato skins with melted vegan cheese on top and scatter with green onions.
Servings: 4 people
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 Tbs vegan butter
- 4 large baked in microwave or oven russet potatoes, reserve skins to top soup
- 1 head garlic, roasted (or if you’re skipping roasting add sauté three minced cloves with the leeks)
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cups veggie broth (Plus more to thin out soup if too thick)
- 1-2 tsp kosher or sea salt (add one teaspoon before adding broth and one teaspoon after if still needed to avoid over salting)
- A few grinds black peppercorns
- Dash of paprika or cayenne, optional
- Melt vegan butter in a soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped leeks and sauté a couple minutes until soft. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from the bulb into the pot with the leeks and stir.
- Scoop the flesh out of the warm baked potatoes and add to pot. Give a few presses with a potato masher, add one teaspoon of salt, and stir to combine with leeks and roasted garlic. (If you have an immersion blender you can skip mashing and purée soup after it’s cooked if you’d prefer.) Add veggie broth and coconut milk, stir, and bring to a light boil. Simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes. If soup is too thick you can thin out with more veggie broth or coconut milk. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper, and or a dash of paprika or cayenne if desired.
- While soup cooks, if you like, make the potato skin toppers. Take reserved potato skins and place on a foil wrapped baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with a sprinkle of salt, a few grinds black pepper, and garlic powder. Sprinkle on some vegan cheese and broil a few minutes until cheese is melted and skins are crispy.
- When soup is done, pour into bowls and throw a couple potato skins with melted vegan cheese on top and scatter with green onions.
Enjoy this recipe or have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!
Click here to register on our Home Page for our free newsletter featuring the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on my free live monthly cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!