Strawberry & Basil Dutch Baby with Roasted Strawberry Compote & Basil Mascarpone Cream
Oven puffed Dutch Baby pancakes are the easy and delicious pancakes with major wow factor! The pancake ingredients get mixed in a blender, poured in a preheated skillet, topped with items of choice, then baked to a glorious puffy perfection. It’s basically a giant popover so the texture has that distinctive light and eggy chew to it that is so addictive. One thing I love about them is how versatile they are allowing you to change up the ingredients to fit the seasons. I love this Spring version that incorporates one of my favorite fruit and herb duo’s: strawberries and basil! A slightly sweetened basil flavored pancake topped with sliced strawberries and a roasted strawberry Basil compote topped with Basil mascarpone cream. My tricks to layering that basil flavor throughout the pancake includes a linked recipe for a quick and easy Basil sugar that I add to the pancake batter, the roasted strawberries, and the mascarpone topping. Mascarpone is the perfect cross between butter and cream that holds it texture when cool and melts slightly when warmed making it the perfect pancake topper in my book but feel free to swap this out with Neufchâtel or Creme Fraîche if you prefer to lighten things up a little more. This pancake is perfect for entertaining, hosting a Spring brunch party, or easy enough for a casual breakfast at home. Whatever the setting this bright and beautiful pancake will get the Spring vibes going!
Makes 6 Servings
Prep Time: Approximately 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes for pancake/20 minutes for roasted strawberries
For the Pancake:
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons basil sugar
- Zest of half a lemon, reserved
- 4 or 5 strawberries, washed tops removed and sliced
Roasted Strawberry Compote:
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, tops removed, and halved or quartered.
- Zest of half a lemon
- 2 tablespoons basil sugar (Recipe here)
- Extra basil cut in ribbons for serving if desired
- Powdered sugar for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 2 tablespoons basil sugar (recipe here)
- A squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice, about one tablespoon
Make roasted strawberry compote:
- Preheat oven to 350. Combine ingredients for roasted strawberries on parchment lined sheet pan and bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly, toss together and mash to combine into compote style mixture.
- Preheat oven to 425 and place a cast ironed skillet in the oven to warm while oven is coming to temperature.
- In a blender combine the eggs, flour, milk, vanilla, basil sugar, salt, and lemon zest.
- Pulse until batter is combined, about 20 seconds.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven. Add 2 tbsp of butter to the pan, swirling it around the pan until melted and foamy.
- Pour the batter directly in the center of the skillet.
- Place the sliced strawberries around the center of the batter leaving the edges free so they can achieve the desired puff factor.
- Place the skillet back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Don’t open the oven door while the pancake is baking or it will not be as puffy after baking.
Make Basil Mascarpone Cream:
- While pancake is baking stir together room temperature mascarpone cheese, basil sugar, and squeeze of fresh lemon or orange juice. Stir together until well combined. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more sugar if necessary. Don’t worry if the granulated sugar still has a little texture to it at first. The acid from the citrus will continue to break it down and help it to melt into the mascarpone mixture.
- Remove pancake from oven after 20 minutes and behold the glorious puffy magic!
- Immediately top pancake with the roasted strawberry basil compote, dollops of basil mascarpone, and a shower with powdered sugar, and serve while puffed and warm.
Like this recipe or have a question? Please feel free to leave a comment below!
Hungry for more? Click here to register on the Home Page and receive our free monthly newsletter featuring the latest seasonal recipes, tips, articles, info on free live upcoming cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!