Baked Eggplant Parmesan Bites (Vegan Friendly)
A lighter, quick and easy, vegan adaptable, and super delicious version of the classic eggplant parmesan in bite size appetizer form, these Baked Eggplant Parmesan Bites are always the hit of the party and disappear fast! You can use your favorite jarred sauce for an extra shortcut but they are especially addictive topped with my ridiculously easy, super delicious roasted red bell pepper and garlic sauce. Members click here for the recipe or click here to register for this recipes and full access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!
Makes approximately 18-24 slices depending on the size of your eggplant.
Serves: 6-8 people (Approximately 3 or 4 pieces per person)
Active Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: Approximately 15 minutes
- 1 Japanese eggplant (Japanese style is thinner than regular eggplant and very important to get the bite sized rounds)
- 1 egg, beaten *See Recipe Notes for Vegan Option
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup Panko crumbs
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 grated fontina, Gouda, mozzarella (or use your favorite) *See Recipe Notes for Vegan Option
- 1/2 cup favorite marinara sauce or use my favorite recipe for Roasted Pepper and Garlic Sauce linked above.
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with silicone baking liner and set aside.
- Place flour, beaten egg, and panko in separate shallow containers for dipping. Season flour mixture with salt and pepper. Slice Japanese eggplant into 1/2 inch thick slices. Dredge each slice first in the flour mixture, then in the egg mixture, and lastly in the panko mixture.
- Place coated eggplant slices on the lines baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven and bake in preheated oven for approximately 12-13 minutes until eggplant is tender and coating is crispy.
- Remove from oven, top each slice with a dollop of sauce and sprinkle with grated cheese. Return to oven and broil on high for about three minutes until cheese is golden and bubbly. Remove to platter and serve!
You can swap out beaten eggs with vegan egg substitute and swap out the cheese for vegan, if desired.
Click here to register and receive our free monthly newsletter with recipes, article links, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat as well info to join my free monthly live cooking demos!