A magical coffee experience that will wind you up and wind you down at the same time! I love my fresh whole bean dark roast and take it very seriously so instant coffee has never been a go-to for me but the amazing Dalgona style coffees have helped me come to appreciate instant coffee in a whole new way. It’s so fun to watch how the instant coffee thickens and whips into an airy cream when it’s mixed with warm water-I had no idea instant coffee was capable of such a transformation! It’s such a fun twist to dollop the beautiful fluffy coffee whip on top and have the milk on the bottom and you can customize it so easily to make different flavors and to have it hot or iced. For chilly winter weather I like this warm and cozy version with Bailey’s Irish Cream. This takes coffee break to a whole new level! Click here to watch the video!
Makes: 1 large coffee
Time: 5-10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee or instant espresso powder
- 1-3 tablespoons sugar (Adjust amount of sugar for desired sweetness as the the Baileys adds sweetness too)
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 6 ounces milk (plant based or regular milk)
- 2 ounces Baileys or other Irish Cream Liquor
- Heat the water in microwave or on stove until hot-doesn’t have to be boiling.
- Combine instant coffee or instant espresso powder and sugar in a mixing bowl and add hot water. With a handheld or stand mixer with whisk attachment, beat mixture on high for a couple minutes until it has thickened and transformed into a creamy looking whip that holds soft peaks.
- For hot version heat the milk in a frother or on the stovetop until warmed through and add to a mug. Or for iced pour over ice in a glass. Add the Irish cream liquer to the milk and stir.
- Top with the glorious whipped coffee mixture and stir to blend the coffee whip into the milk.
*A handheld or stand mixture will work for whipping the coffee mixture but I find the handheld makes the fluffiest whip.
*You cannot use regular coffee or espresso to create this whip. Use only instant coffee or espresso powder to achieve the desired result.
Like this recipe or have a question? Post a comment and/or pic below!
Hungry for more? Click here to register for our free monthly newsletter with updates on our latest recipes, tips, articles, and member only access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!