Watermelon Cheese Danish
Makes: 8 Danish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 20 minutes
- 1 package puff pastry dough
- 2-3 tablespoons watermelon jam, divided (you can use homemade or Trader Joe’s Watermelon Spread)
- 2/3 cup Mascarpone cheese (you can substitute cream cheese if needed)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese, (optional but highly recommended)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon juice, approximately
- 1 egg yolk, plus 1 whole egg beaten with a splash of water for egg wash
Directions for Brownie Cups:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- To make the filling, mix the mascarpone cheese, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla, and lemon juice in a bowl until combined. Add in the crumbled feta and 1 tablespoon of the watermelon jam and stir to incorporate.
- Roll out both puff pastry sheets slightly on a lightly floured service and cut each sheet into 4 squares. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone liners and place 4 pastry squares on each sheet, spacing apart evenly.
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of the mascarpone mixture in the center of each puff pastry square. Place a dollop from the remaining tablespoon or two of the watermelon jam on top of the cheese mixture on each square and swirl into the cheese mixture slightly without spreading the cheese outside of the center of the pastry square.
- Fold the corners of each square of pastry in towards the center pressing down to secure them around the cheese mixture in the center, leaving the cheese center exposed.
- Brush these borders of the pastry with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in preheated oven for approximately 18-20 minutes until they are golden brown and edges are beautifully puffed.
- Remove and serve warm or at room temperature (perhaps with a dish of fresh watermelon the side?)
Like this recipe or have a question? Please feel free to leave a comment below!
Hungry for more? Click here to register on the Home Page and receive our free monthly newsletter featuring the latest seasonal recipes, tips, articles, info on free live upcoming cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!