- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup mini marshmallows, (Optional for marshmallow variation)
- 8 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 large candy canes, crushed
- In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg, vanilla and peppermint extracts on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, espresso powder, and salt together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. Stir in the white chocolate chips. Cover dough and chill.
- Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes until it’s easier to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Scoop dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. If you’re making the optional marshmallow filled variation, use 2 inch balls, make an indent into one side of dough and press in three mini marshmallows. Cover with the other side of dough and roll into ball, then place on the baking sheets.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until puffed and soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt the chopped white chocolate in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time or in a pot over very low heat on the stove while stirring constantly. Dip a spoon into melted white chocolate and drizzle over one side (half) of cooled cookie. Place onto a parchment or silicone baking mat-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle crushed candy canes on top of white chocolate and let dry until hardened.
Click here to register and receive our free monthly newsletter with seasonal recipes, tips, exclusive members access to all recipes on Torte and Eat, info on upcoming cooking demos, and more!