Tofu Lemon Picatta
Active Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 3 medium or two large lemons zested first, then juiced (zest divided)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, divided
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 of the reserved lemon zest (save the rest for tofu paste and to add to the cooked sauce once finished)
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon capers
Tofu, Paste & Coating Ingredients:
- 1 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and sliced lengthwise into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened plant based milk or yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of the reserved lemon zest
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- Sprinkle of salt and a few grinds fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped
- Lemon slices, for garnish
Zucchini & Carrot Noodles:
- 4 small or 2 large zucchini, spiralized
- 2 medium carrots, spiralized
- Combine the sauce ingredients-lemon juice through vegetable broth, reserving half the zest and half the basil for later. Puree the sauce ingredients with a handheld immersion blender (or in regular blender) mixed well. In a shallow bowl or on a large plate, cover the drained pressed tofu with 1/3 of the sauce.
- Combine the tofu dredge ingredients-olive oil through lemon zest- in a shallow dish and the panko in another shallow dish. Dredge each tofu piece first in the paste mixture then press both sides into the panko crumbs to coat.
- Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with a bit more salt and a few grinds fresh ground pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, flip pieces, and bake for 15 more minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Meanwhile make the veggie noodles and thicken up remaining sauce:
- Heat half of the tablespoon of vegan butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cornstarch to sauce and mix well.
- When skillet is hot add the veggie noodles and a sprinkle of salt. When sizzling add a splash of the sauce and cook until vegetables are tender and have softened about 5-7 minutes. Remove the veggies and leave the pan on the heat.
7. Add the rest of the sauce and cook until thickened, reducing heat slightly when sauce starts to bubble. Cook until thickened, stirring frequently, adding in capers, remaining zest, and basil, and remaining half a tablespoon of the vegan butter toward the end of cooking.
8. Top veggie noodles with slices of crispy tofu, top with lemon picatta sauce and serve!
Click here to register and receive our free monthly newsletter with the latest featured recipes, tips, articles, info on free live monthly cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!