My favorite easy, light and delicious no-fry fried cauliflower rice cooked on one baking sheet! This is a favorite in our house and a regular in our weekly dinner rotation. My husband loved it so much and found it so easy that it has become his favorite go-to dish when he takes his turn to make dinner, so if that’s not a ringing endorsement for this dish I don’t know what is! Chock full of veggies and protein this is unbelievably satisfying and hearty without weighing you down and is easily made completely vegan with a couple small ingredient substitutions that are noted below. Takeout fried rice has nothing on this super delicious, healthy cauliflower version!
Prep Time: Approximately 10-15 minutes
Bake Time: Approximately 30 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and sliced into pieces lengthwise
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, optional
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (or make your own by cutting 1 medium head of cauliflower into chunks and processing into food processor until fine.)
- 1 cup fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped bok choy or finely chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, plus more for drizzling after baking
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (or use tamari or Bragg’s Liquid Amino if preferred), plus additional added after baking to taste.
- 2 tablespoons regular or vegan oyster sauce (or omit if preferred-If omitting you will likely need to add a couple additional tablespoons of soy sauce and/or an extra sprinkle of salt.)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Mirin Japanese Cooking Wine or Shaoxing Chinese Cooking Wine (in Asian foods aisle)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 large eggs, well-beaten with a pinch of salt (Omit or use egg substitute for vegan)
- 3 or 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- Toasted sesame seeds and/or extra drizzle of sesame oil, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone liner.
- Combine sauce ingredients in a bowl or measuring cup.
- Combine cauliflower rice and the rest of the veggies in a separate bowl and pour all but two or three tablespoons of the sauce mixture over the veggies, reserving this for the tofu slices. Mix veggies and sauce well to combine.
- Place tofu slices one end of the lined baking sheet, spooning sauce over slice and rubbing in with the back of the spoon so it doesn’t run off the slices. Add a sprinkle of salt if desired to ensure tofu is thoroughly seasoned.
- Spread the cauliflower vegetable mixture evenly over the remainder of the baking sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then flip the tofu slices and stir the cauliflower vegetable mixture spreading out evenly across the pan once more. Bake another 15 minutes and remove from oven. If using eggs, scrape a bit of the rice over to make room on the sheet pan to pour beaten eggs alongside so they can cook separately and be stirred in at the end.
- Using tongs so as not to burn your fingers, remove tofu to cutting board and pour half of the reserved sauce over the tofu. Then cut the tofu into small chunks and add to cauliflower rice mixture on sheet pan. Taste cauliflower mixture and if a little more seasoning is needed add the remaining sauce and toss to combine. Remove and slice cooked eggs, if using, or use a wooden spoon to break them into pieces right on the sheet and stir to mix well. Pour reserved sauce Garnish with scallions, sesame oil and/or sesame seeds if desired. Taste to adjust seasonings. Add more soy sauce, vegan or regular oyster sauce if using, another drizzle of sesame oil, and or Sriracha, toss and serve!
Recipes Note: You can substitute the chopped veggies in this recipes with your choice of pre-chopped fresh veggies to save time if you wish, though this nice fresh mix doesn’t take long to prep at all.
Click here to register and receive our free monthly newsletter with the latest featured recipes, tips, articles, info on free live monthly cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!