Our new favorite homemade Thai takeout dish! Tastes like the restaurant version so much that when my husband ate it he apologized and said we could never get takeout again. And no need either because these are so easy to make! Though the photos don’t do credit to the depth of flavor and sauce factor of these noodles that’s just because they’ve been greedy and soaked up all that deliciousness for themselves. As the avid extra sauce loving person that I am believe me when I say you won’t be looking for any extra sauce in these flavor packed noodles or looking outside your own kitchen for Thai takeout any time soon. Plus since it’s vegetarian and vegan adaptable this is one homemade takeout meal you can feel extra good about. Thai out this homemade takeout tonight!
Makes: 4 Servings
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Time: 30 minutes
- 8 oz dried rice noodles, wide
- 2 tbsp oil (peanut, vegetable or canola)
- 3 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2-3 cups mix of chopped baby bok choy, thinly sliced red bell pepper, and sliced mushrooms (I like this combo for Thai but feel free to use your favorite veggie combo)
- 1 14 oz block extra firm tofu, drained, wrapped in paper towels and pressed under heavy pan lid, then sliced
- 2 green onions, green parts only, chopped
- 1 cup Thai basil leaves (or substitute regular basil) cut into ribbons
- 5 tbsp oyster sauce (or substitute vegan fish sauce for vegan version)
- 2 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup fish sauce (substitute vegan fish sauce for vegan version)
- 2 teaspoons Thai chili sauce
- Preheat oven 400.
- Mix sauce ingredients together and set aside.
- Place drained, pressed tofu slices on a silicone lined baking sheet. Spoon a small teaspoonful on each tofu slice rubbing into the slices with the spoon so it soaks in and doesn’t run off. Flip slices over and repeat. Place baking sheet in oven and bake 30 minutes, flipping slices about halfway through.
- While tofu is baking bring a pot of water to a boil, add salt and rice noodles. Stir, reduce heat slightly and boil for approximately five minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Prep veggies and mince garlic to sauté. Remove tofu from oven and set aside to cook slightly until they can be handled, then slice in half and then into triangles.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium high. Add garlic for just a minute stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn. Add onion and chopped veggies (except for green onion and basil) and stir frequently, cooking a few minutes until tender. Add cooked rice noodles and green onions, then stir to combine with veggies. Add the majority of the reserved sauce and stir to coat noodles and veggies thoroughly. Add tofu and remaining sauce and stir cooking another couple of minutes. Turn off heat, sprinkle with chopped basil, and serve!
Enjoy this recipe or have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!
Click here to register on our Home Page for our free newsletter featuring the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on my free live monthly cooking demos and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!