Today’s lentil salad was last night’s lentil vegetable soup! Click here for the recipe for this twofer meal leftover makeover!
- 6 cups fresh washed spinach leaves
- 4 Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise into thirds
- Olive oil for roasted tomatoes
- Coupe sprigs of fresh thyme stripped of stems or 1 teaspoon dried
- Splash of red wine vinegar, optional
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups leftover thickened lentil soup, drained of excess liquid
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles
- Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe below
To roast tomatoes, preheat oven to 400. Place tomato slices in lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle of salt and pepper and fresh or dried thyme. Add a splash of red wine vinegar to the tomato slices if desired for an extra little pop of flavor during roasting. Bake approximately half an hour until tomatoes appear shriveled and have released their juice. Let cool while you prepare the rest of the salad.
Divide spinach among bowls and toss with a small amount of red wine vinaigrette-just enough to lightly coat the spinach leaves but not too much or it will fight with the great depth of flavor in the lentils. Add a few slices of roasted tomato and a sprinkle of goat cheese.
Tip* If I have fennel on hand I love to add some slices to the baking sheet and roast along with the tomatoes. It is delicious with the roasted tomatoes and a great combo with the other salad ingredients!
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
In a small bowl combine red wine vinegar, Dijon, salt and pepper. Add in juices released by tomatoes on the baking sheet. Drizzle in olive oil while whisking constantly to emulsify.
Click here to register for our free monthly newsletter with the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on free monthly live cooking demos and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!