The shortcut salsa that doesn’t shortcut flavor! I’ve been making this for years and rarely switch up because it is one of the best tasting, easiest to make, and makes a lot which is perfect for a crowd, or in our case just the two of us because of how quickly we down this stuff. Canned tomatoes make it so economical and using roasted canned tomatoes gives an added depth of flavor. I used to make roasted salsa before I started making this version but this one was so delicious, made so much more, (which was key since we always seemed to polish of the smaller amount that the roasted version version yielded in 2 seconds) and was so much quicker that I was hooked and haven’t looked back since! I’m not embarrassed to say that I can, and have, eaten this salsa with chips and my go-to guac for dinner on more than one occasion because it’s just that good. Speaking of which click here to get that go-to guac recipe!
Makes: 5 Approximately Cups
Time: 10 minutes
- 2 14 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (You can substitute regular diced tomatoes but the fire roasted give a great added depth of flavor to the canned tomatoes.)
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1 small onion or half a large, diced
- 3 garlic, removed from skin and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons sazon latin seasoning blend, homemade or purchased
- 1 teaspoon cumin or coriander
- 2 teaspoons salt-You can adjust this according to your preference but keep in mind the canned tomatoes will need quite a bit of salt to help bring their freshness and flavor back to life!
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or seeded minced fresh jalapeno (use more or less depending how hot you like it)
- A good drizzle of olive oil, a couple tablespoons approximately
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse repeatedly until mixture is well combined but is still slightly chunky. Process steadily for a puréed texture. Remove lid and taste, adjusting seasonings as needed and adding more salt if necessary.
Serve with chips, on tacos, nachos, eggs, burrito bowls and anything else you can think of! The only other thing this salsa needs is my Go-To Guacamole. Get the recipe here!
Enjoy this recipe or have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!
Click here to register on our Home Page for our free newsletter featuring the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on my free live monthly cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!