I fell in love with mojitos long ago while living in South Florida, just a hop skip from the mojito’s hometown in Cuba. There’s something about the way the white rum, fresh limes, and fresh mint come together that is perfection, especially on a hot humid day which is about every day in South Florida for at least 9 months out of the year. Those extended summers created many opportunities for mojitos throughout the years and because they’re so easy to vary and adapt I really loved changing them up with different seasonal fruits for the time of year. A couple of my absolute favorites are watermelon mojitos in the summer and these Pomegranate Mojitos during the fall and winter seasons. I love the gorgeous little ruby pomegranate jewels swirling around with the fresh mint and with their sweet tart but not too tart flavor that pops so brightly against the lime and mint. A little taste of summer in winter and always looks party perfect!
For the Mint Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Approximately 1-2 cup fresh mint leaves
For the Mojito:
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves — ( plus more for garnish and for simple syrup-approx 1 cup total)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4oz Bacardi white rum
- 2 oz simple mint syrup
- Crushed ice
- Seltzer water
- Prepare simple syrup, by combining 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and bringing it to a boil. Stir to let sugar dissolve and add in a handful of fresh mint. Remove from heat and let syrup cool. Once cooled remove mint leaves and store extra in the fridge for more mojitos. (It makes about 1 cup total.)
- In a glass add mint leaves, pomegranate seeds, fresh lime juice, rum and simple syrup. Muddle mint leaves and pomegranate seeds together with lime and syrup to extract juices.
- Add crushed ice to the glass and top with seltzer. Garnish with more pomegranate seeds, mint leaves and lime wedges.
Like this recipe or have a question? Post a comment and/or pic below!
Hungry for more? Click here to register for our free monthly newsletter with updates on our latest recipes, tips, articles, and member only access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!