Pesto has been close to my heart for as long as I can remember and one of my favorite all time fresh condiments to make and slather in just about everything-except dessert! This spinach pesto is one of my favorites and packs in even more veggies. Since spinach is such a power player in savory breakfast dishes and such good friends with tomato and feta and goat cheese, it seemed like a natural choice for a flavor packed and herbaceous sauce for my breakfast veggie pizza. Click here for the recipe!
For Spinach Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, smashed or chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted nuts-I love almonds in this but you can use any you like (If you have nut allergies you can even swap the nuts for sunflower seeds)
- 1 good squeeze fresh lemon juice from half a lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple grinds fresh black pepper
- 1/3-1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan or use nutritional yeast to keep this pesto vegan
In a food processor combine spinach and basil with garlic, lemon, nuts, salt and pepper. Process on high until mixture is finely chopped and well incorporated then turn off and scrape the sides of the bowl. Turn back on process on lower speed, drizzling in the olive oil until mixture becomes saucy and smooth. Turn off machine, scrape sides again if needed and add in nutritional yeast or Parmesan and stir to incorporate and thicken the mixture slightly. Taste for seasonings, adding a sprinkle of extra salt if needed and try not to eat it straight out of the bowl!
Enjoy this recipe or have questions? Feel free to leave a comment!
Click here to register on our Home Page for our free newsletter featuring the latest recipes, tips, articles, info on my free live monthly cooking demos, and exclusive member access to all recipes on Torte and Eat!